The Dogs

The Dogs
Bosque, Brink, Tundra, River, Rival

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Don't Let Life Run You Over

Life has thrown me a lot of lemons lately, but things are finally start to turn around. Don't get me wrong, there were lots of hours of depression, but I believe I discovered a lot of things about myself. One, I can still get by with out a job, my life is not defined by my career. Two, this change allowed me to explore what I really want to do and finally make the commitment to go that way. By this time next year I will be a certified canine rehabilitation therapist! Three, if I'm going to have these lofty goals in dog agility, I better spend some time really working on Brink's skills. Four, have fun!! Find something that challenges you and go for it. Once again, by this time next year I will be an Ironman (Half-ironman in Hawaii in June).

Now for today's update. On Tuesday, I had a working interview in Edgewood. It went really well, I had to do a cat spay and even under the watchful eye of the owner, (making me very nervous) I did it in about 30 minutes and the cat did great. The job would be small animal emergency at night. I'm excited about this because it still gives me the days to work-out, train for agility, and get my business going. Today I got an email from the manager that was very positive!

I also went for a 3 mile run today-working up to that Half-Marathon in February and then the half-ironman. Brink got to go with me and I could tell that his week off got him out of shape. We saved the evening for working on his skills. This was a clicker training session. We continued to work on his running A-frame with the ground work. He did well finding the box and did really well hitting it when I stood in different places and even started adding some movement. We still kept the toy out of the picture and just used treats. I think we need to get it 100% before I can start adding the toy. After finishing this exercise, we worked on post-turns. This is very difficult for Brink, because he does not read deceleration well and really hates it. We started with ground work. Recalls to the side with a turn, Brink had to accelerate to my side, but then stick with me almost in a heal position while we turned. After clicking and treating this for about 10 on each side, we moved on to a jump. Wow!!! I was so impressed with my boy. I showed no movement, stood in the path of the jump a bit, used the off arm and Brink's name to pull him around the post, clicked when he was tight and treated. We did about 10 on each side and he was so awesome. We'll work up to adding movement from me. Tomorrow we will continue to work on his A-frame, post-turns, and some jump collection.

This weekend is busy, busy! I will be doing a microchip clinic at Bark in the Park on Saturday and either a Triathlon on Sunday or a 50 mile bike ride at the Tour of Acoma. I also need to continue work on the business ideas-I think a website is next in order. I have to continue writing the business plan as well-not much fun, but worth it.

I'm not letting life run me over anymore, I'm in the driver's seat now!

No comments:

Post a Comment